Is This the Soundtrack of My Life?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A few posts ago, I mentioned a dream of mine regarding one heckuva conversation. Wanna go back and read it again? Go ahead...I'll wait.

Back? Good.

My dreams have a tendency to have music playing in the background. Sometimes, it's some show tune from a Broadway play. As a child, I was an extra in the "Music Man" and "Oklahoma", so it's not as weird as it sounds. But more often than not, there are more popular songs that play when I'm deep in slumber. Sometimes it's relevant to the dream and makes for an awesome soundtrack. Other times, I wake up wondering why I'm hearing the Hanson brothers singing "MmmBop" during one of my Superman flying-type dreams.

In no particular order, here are some of the songs and their accompanying dreams that I've had throughout my life.

1.) "18 & Life" by Skid Row. This was, arguably, the strangest dream I've ever had in my life. A female friend was gunned down by some psycho with a gun. The song was relevant and I woke up in a cold sweat and an absolute hatred for Sebastian Bach and his songs.

2.) "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. I don't recall what the dream was actually about, but I do remember waking up with this song in my head for the next 3 days and that it was completely irrelevant to what I had been dreaming about. I hated this song before the dream. It simply reinforced my hatred.

3.) "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" by Gary Portnoy. The theme song from "Cheers" has appeared several times, usually when drinking with friends in my dreams. It seems dreams, like art, imitate life.

4.) "The Rodeo Song" by Chris Ledoux. Another recurring song in my dreams. This one usually happens when my dreams appear to be going in fast forward. It usually has no basis for whatever the dream is, but the fast pace of the song and the fast pace of the dream actually end up making a nice mix. Plus, it's always nice to add the lyrics "you fucking jerk" in my dreams. It just seems to fit.

5.) "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. This was another weird one. I was attempting to seduce one of my grade school nuns and held aloft a boombox ala John Cusack in "Say Anything." I honestly have no excuse and, as mentioned before, am fully aware that I'll be spending eternity in hell.

In an odd twist of fate, I was woken up by a stewardess that said I was singing along to something when I had fallen asleep on the plane. Twice.

Are these songs representative of wishes of mine that I have hidden deep within my subconscious? Are they, as the post title suggests, the soundtrack to my life? Hell if I know. But at least they give me something to sing along to when I'm dreaming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

GlossyBlue Blogger by Black Quanta. Theme & Icons by N.Design Studio
Entries RSS Comments RSS